The HSE Manager will provide direction and leadership to the operation, instilling a Safety Always mindset as part of implementing the Health, Safety and Environment strategy aligned with the HR and organization strategy. The HSE Manager will implement sustainable HSE policies, programs and processes through the assessment of risk, identification of improvements and execution of impactful operating controls. The HSE Manager will partner with leaders and teams to create strong employee engagement and an environment that fosters continuous improvement and instills a proactive HSE management system The HSE Manager is a partner and advisor to the Quality Steel operations and is a key part of the HSE team.
- Provide technical and regulatory expertise, recommending, developing and implementing practical, functional approaches with leaders and operations to ensure HSE practices are in compliance with applicable laws, conform to highest company standards, and utilize best practices to manage safety risks to people, property, and the environment.
- Implement HSE policies and standards aligned with the HSE strategy to ensure employees feel “Safe and Connected” and instilling a Safety Always mindset. Ensure the integration of HSE policies and procedures into standard operating procedures for risk reduction of injuries, illnesses and health exposures.
- Ensure compliance with all applicable federal, state, and local regulations as pertains to the health, safety, and productivity of employees and environmental impact of the organization’s operation.
- Facilitate root cause analyses of injuries and incidents. Works with teams and conduct investigations into incidents and prepare corrective actions to prevent from reoccurring.
- Communicate as appropriate with individuals, teams, and across the organization to increase awareness, avoid potential risks and share prevention methods for HSE measures.
- Be a visible and dynamic champion of HSE. Model the way, engaging, encouraging and enabling others for a positive impact of HSE as a strategic partner across the business.
- Coordinate the development and delivery of HSE training programs for required regulatory and site-specific focus areas. Develop procedural instructions and maintain HSE records, documents, and reports.
- Utilize lean and continuous improvement tools and behavior-based safety strategies to guide injury prevention efforts. Partner with business leaders and employees to continuously improve HSE culture, awareness and accountability aligned with business objectives.
- Conduct internal health, safety and environmental audits to verify compliance levels. Evaluate site HSE management system, procedures and processes and propose and implement changes to maximize effectiveness.
- Keep current knowledge of changes to regulations and recommend appropriate program measures to ensure compliance. Maintain knowledge of best practice in the industry as part of recommending improvements.
- Partner with Human Resources team and HR Centers of Expertise (COEs) to effectively execute HSE procedures and to reinforce a Safety Always mindset.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in HSE demonstrating progressive improvements
- Manufacturing industry experience required; heavy industrial manufacturing experience ideal
- Experience with systemic HSE programs preferred
- Thorough understanding of HSE regulatory requirements and professional best practices
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong bias for action and ability to lead, motivate and influence others to achieve HSE goals
- Ability to assess risk and exercise independent judgment when making recommendations
- Highest level of professionalism and confidentiality
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to communicate and build relationships throughout all levels of the organization
- Exceptional interpersonal skills including facilitation, coaching, presentations, written & verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational skills, keeps timelines and meets deadlines
- High self-awareness and emotional intelligence
- Aligned with highest integrity and family values
Education and Certification Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in safety, organizational health, business or a related field required
- Strongly prefer steel manufacturing or foundry background, title 5
- Some travel may be required to plant operations, customers and/or suppliers