Ann Arbor, MI
$110,000 – $140,000 + Bonus + Progression Structure + Benefits Package + Healthcare Package
The position manages and directs essential engineering functions related to product engineering, product launches, product changes, product documentation, maintaining and improving processes, and plant and factory facilities.
Essential Job Functions:
- Lead the product engineering team to develop new products and supporting strategies that optimize profitability for the company while meeting customer cost and mass targets
- Manage customer expectations and ensure customer requirements are met
- Act as a key engineering contact for the assigned projects, actively working to understand the customer’s near-term product needs and planning resources to support upcoming development projects or launches
- Mentor Product Engineers to meet their responsibilities, such as:
- Completing and maintaining engineering bills of materials
- Tracking engineering/design issues and managing engineering changes
- Effective communication with the customer
- Providing all APQP engineering deliverables
- Supporting the Launch Team through PPAP
- Support continuous improvement projects resulting in reduced scrap and labor, quality improvements, lower cycle times and improved safety.
- Ensure product engineers are equipped with proper knowledge through training and mentoring
- Ensure product engineers are equipped with proper tools, such as scales, calipers, etc. to support program launches.
- Ensure adherence to company design standards for both in-house and customer design projects to avoid unplanned engineering changes costs, high scrap, or other design related issues
- Work directly with customer engineers to complete essential job functions as needed
- Assist with leadership and direction for the Program Teams including, but not limited to, Tooling, Manufacturing, and Industrial Engineering, Program Management, Sales and Purchasing.
- Manage setting of goals and performance reviews for all direct reports.
- Support the Director of Engineering in meeting their responsibilities, such as:
- Maintaining departmental budget, leading to cost control and waste reduction.
- Requires frequent travel to customer and company manufacturing locations to support various meetings, launch events, and problem solving.
- Bachelor of Science degree in an engineering or plastics field.
- Minimum 2 years in a senior engineering role, with progressively increasing responsibilities and demonstrated ability to mentor, lead, and manage other engineers.
- Knowledge of automotive industry standards and procedures.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project).
- Professional Communication skills (written and verbal) and experience working with global teams.
- Familiarity with APQP, TS16949, DFMEA, DVP and other industry methods and standards.
- Knowledge and application experience in GD&T standards and tolerance stack-ups.
- Experience with compression molding of thermosets and/or thermoplastics.
- Familiarity with automotive body structures design, crash requirements, Class A body panels and closures.
- Prior work experience from an automotive Tier I supplier.
- Highly experienced in an engineering field within a manufacturing environment, preferably an automotive supplier.