The incumbent will provide direct oversight, leadership, and accountability for the Machine Shop department. Deliver quality projects, safely, on time, and within budget. Schedule, coordinate and supervise the work of all departmental operatives as it relates to the fabrication, maintenance and repair of products. Serves as a key stakeholder and displays ownership of the department’s ability to demonstrate compliance with the AS9100 Quality Manual, Repair Station & Quality Control Manual, Training Program Manual and Production Approval Manual, as applicable. Understand the relationship between the SAE Aerospace Standard and supplementary documents. Actively participates in monitoring, auditing, development and implementation of measures designed to provide objective evidence of conformity.
Essential Job Functions:
- Responsible for all activities related to the Machine Shop.
- Mentors direct reports.
- Collaborates with internal team members on the development of tooling designs and their production.
- Commands a working knowledge of all phases of the job and effectively directs the flow of work within the department.
- Participates in the planning and RFQ (Request for Quote) process by providing an estimation of labor hours and production output; material and tooling costs; as well as anticipated risk and mitigation strategies.
- Plans production activities by studying and interpreting drawings, blueprints, orthographic projections, reference planes, surface locations machining parameters, work orders, manufacturing specifications, geometric dimensioning and tolerances (GD&T).
- Coordinates and executes departmental work plans in conformance with company policies, procedures, regulations, best practices, management objectives, priorities and financial impact to the business. Supports interdepartmental cooperation.
- Ensures effective setup, maintenance, and tear down of work areas, equipment (i.e. mills, lathes, Chucks, tools, attachments) and materials; work areas are kept neat and tidy. Organizes such materials and equipment, data and workflow to ensure job requirements are achieved.
- Performs production activities such as operating CNC equipment, cutting, forming, shaping, grinding, deburring, etc. when necessary to support on-time delivery.
- Reads and adheres to work instructions, regulations, manuals and quality procedures.
- Designs and implements effective workgroups and systems and proactively drives the progress of work. · Performs production duties associated with the processing, verification, and quality auditing and inspection of assemblies, parts, and tooling for which the individual has been delegated accountability. Takes time to review department output for completeness and accuracy.
- Reports job status to peers and company executives, including any impediments to throughput.
- Participates in MRB (Material Review Board) proceedings and activities.
- Audits evaluate and ensure company compliance in accordance with the AS9100 Quality Manual, Repair Station & Quality Control Manual, Training Program Manual and Production Approval Manual, as applicable.
- Trains employees to effectively perform their job tasks. Evaluate employee performance based on stated expectations.
- Approves work hours and resolves payroll and other personnel issues.
- Contributes wherever possible to enable the company to meet On-Time Delivery (OTD) and Quality targets, seeking opportunities to increase productivity and eliminate waste.
- Attends and participates in management meetings and reports on key metrics. Reports performance statistics up the chain of command and recommends strategic changes.
- Resolves personnel and employee relations issues and performs annual employee reviews.
- Recruits, hires, mentors, manages, and trains employees and assists them in performance improvement and accomplishment of business objectives. Ensures department personnel receive job-relevant training. · Exemplifies good work practices, behaviors, and leadership traits; operates with integrity, treats others with respect, and demonstrates reliability and teamwork, initiative and creativity, and problem-solving and decision making.
- Demonstrates clear and effective communication, both verbal and written. Prepares, maintains, and submits accurate paperwork as required, including job reports, timekeeping records, etc.
- Adheres to all applicable environmental, safety and health, and operations procedures and directives. This includes the proper use of personal protective equipment in accordance with manufacturer specifications, Safety Data Sheets (SDS), and company guidelines.
- Ensures job site safety promotes safe work practices and rectifies job site hazards; including clean work areas. Reads understand and interpret the lockout/tag-out indicators in the work area.
- Knows, understands, and adheres to Company organizational policies and procedures; aligns with and represents the Company’s mission, vision, and core values.
- Performs other related tasks as assigned, some of which may become essential to the position.
Skills and Abilities:
- Experience and aptitude related to CNC machining activities.
- Proficiency in blueprint reading.
- Skilled in functional and technical aspects related to working in a manufacturing environment.
- Possess a thorough understanding of the impact (financial and otherwise) that one’s decisions may have on business objectives.
- Demonstrated abilities in problem-solving, critical thinking, and mathematics.
- Developed organizational skills and a high level of attention to detail.
- Skilled in the use of tools of the trade, including precision measuring equipment.
- Developed interpersonal and communication skills and a demonstrated ability to motivate and lead by example, fostering a culture of positivity and encouragement.
- Ability to manage goals and expectations, meeting or exceeding targets without jeopardizing quality.
- Skilled in the use of Microsoft Office programs (i.e. Outlook, Word, Excel).
- Must be able to wear safety equipment, including a respirator, as required.
Preferred Skills and Abilities:
- Possesses and demonstrates a thorough understanding of all phases of the job.
- Operation of manual CNC machines.
- Fanuc controlled CNC Vertical Mills and/or CNC Lathe experience.
- Dayna path 20 controlled 3-axis CNC Mill experience.
Knowledge and Experience:
- 2-5 Years (L2), 5-8 Years (L3), 8+ Years (L4) of experience in a related job role;
- Or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which demonstrates the ability to perform the duties and responsibilities as described, including an internship in relevant trade
- Knowledge of safety requirements.
Preferred Knowledge and Experience:
- High School Diploma/GED and technical/associate’s degree.
- Experience working in aerospace with trade terminology and basic nomenclature.
Physical/Mental Involvement & Environmental Factors
- While performing the duties of this job, employees are regularly required to sit, walk, stand, bend, crouch, crawl, and twist. Reach, push, and pull with hands and arms.
- Lift up to 50 pounds.
- Talk and hear, both in person and by telephone.