The Tool and Die Maker will cut, shape, finish, and maintain tools made of metal and will forge diecasts to create molds.
- Uses tools and dies to build fixtures; creates dies as required to construct new fixtures.
- Repairs dies, molds, and tools when needed; disassembles molds, jigs, tools, and fixtures, then reassembles when repaired.
- Reads and understands blueprints and complicated schematics as required to create and build new fixtures, tools, and machine parts.
- Uses computer-aided design (CAD) software to create designs and/or turn designs into blueprints.
- Inspects completed tools and dies for signs of imperfection or damage that may affect functionality.
- Regularly tests all equipment, tools, and machines to ensure they are arranged and set properly and working efficiently.
- Modifies machines to control speed, material feed, or path of cut as required to ensure a quality product is produced within specifications.
- Maintains a safe, clean, and well-organized workspace.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to safely and accurately operate all measuring and production equipment.
- Working understanding of geometry, trigonometry, and algebra.
- Thorough understanding of metallic properties.
- Ability to work independently, and with engineers and machinists.
- Proficient with computer-aided design (CAD) software.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite or related software.
Education and Experience:
- Successful completion of an apprentice program with a licensed professional or established company preferred.
- On-the job training available.
- Tool and diemaker certification preferred.