Summary: Assists the plant locations in maintaining compliance with applicable local, state and federal environmental and safety regulations. Provides leadership, oversight and support for EHS systems, processes and activities, and Corporate & Regional EHS Initiatives for multiple facilities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Provide full service EHS support to multiple facilities to cost effectively and successfully manage the development, implementation and integration of specific EHS program initiatives and activities
- Serve as the Health & Safety subject matter leader
- Evaluate, recommend, plan and implement environmental and safety policies, programs and procedures to assure compliance with local, state and federal environmental & safety rules and regulations.
- Manage and lead efforts with implementing and integrating the companies Management System requirements and meet performance improvement goals as subject matter expert and assisting assigned facilities.
- Support assigned sites in development & implementation of various EHS related corrective/improvement action plans, and advise on policy & regulatory matters.
- Manage, develop, plan and provide or direct applicable EHS training programs for relevant regulatory and company requirements
- Support assigned sites as they interface with external EHS regulators in the event of site inspections, reviews or operational inquiries
- Ability to work hands-on and independently with sites, and to champion successful EHS initiatives.
- Manage/monitor current permit requirements and assist with permit applications for new sources.
- Assist sites with managing/updating the requirements of environmental regulatory required plans (i.e. SPCC, SWPPP, RCRA, Contingency Plan, Waste Minimization, etc.) and OSHA required plans (Lockout Tagout, Hot Work, Respiratory protection, Confined Space, Electrical Safety Standards, Hearing Conservation, Hazard Communication, etc.)
- Coordinate and assist sites to prepare and submit regulatory reports (Form R, Tier II, Biennial Waste Reports, Air Emission Summary, etc.) by the required deadlines.
- Conduct ISO 14001 and ISO 45001 management system internal audits
- Maintain and open a candid working relationship with all plant managers and operations leadership.
- Work jointly with sites on incident investigations, root cause analysis and corrective actions.
- Assist with management of workers compensation programs.
- Coordinate/participate in property insurance inspections and recommendations.
- Schedule and/or conduct Industrial Hygiene studies as needed.
- Ability to work overtime
- There will be a matrixed reporting relationship with the plant EHS resources that requires this position to coordinate activities with the plant manager to:
- Provide leadership, support, and mentoring to EHS resources at assigned sites
- Participate in EHS resource onboarding training, goals and objectives development and planning, and provide input on annual performance reviews
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or higher from four-year college or university Bachelors of Science Degree in Environmental Engineering, Safety Engineering, and/or Management, or closely related field is required.
- Advanced Degree or EHS related Professional Certifications desirable
- ISO 14001 and/or ISO 45001 Lead Auditor
- CSP, CHMM, CIH or similar
- Eight (8) to ten (10) years’ experience in manufacturing environment with emphasis on safety/environmental management
- Knowledge and experience in relation to development of processes and practices in the following key areas – EHS management systems implementation (ISO 14001 and ISO 45001), behavior based safety, ergonomics, risk assessment and reduction, and industrial hygiene
- Strong Health & Safety background and experience, which includes behavior based safety programs.
- Must have ability to work without direct day-to-day supervision and must be capable of managing/leading all EHS Function activities.
- Thorough working knowledge and understanding of EHS compliance (local, state, and national) regulations
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as environmental and safety regulations and rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to write compliance programs, operating instructions, routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to speak effectively before groups of employees.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Strong organizational skills, analytical and problem solving skills, communication and interpersonal skills. Must have demonstrated follow-up and closure skills.
- Excellent leadership and managerial skills required including high energy and proactive forward thinking abilities.
- Must be able to successfully manage multiple activities.
- Ability to use personal computers and office software programs (Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint), compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Inter-office correspondence, written as necessary.
- Complete various reports as assigned/defined.
- Maintain membership in professionally recognized HSE organization(s).
- Ability to work with computer keyboard/screen on a daily basis
- Ability to work in manufacturing operations and indoors and outdoors.
- Ability to travel up to 50% of time.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- Work is performed in both the manufacturing facilities and office environments.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of this position.
This job description will be reviewed periodically as duties and responsibilities change with business necessity. All job functions are subject to modification.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $86,130.00 – $92,031.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
Supplemental pay types:
- Bonus pay
- Signing bonus
Work Location: One location