The Controller is responsible for the entire financial function at the plant, including cash and bank, accounts receivable, inventory, capital assets, accounts payable, inter-company transactions and other related accruals and receivables. Additionally, the Controller is also responsible for leading the Forecasting & Budgeting process, Corporate Reporting and implementing and maintaining Internal Controls.
- College diploma or University Accounting degree (CA, CMA or CPA designation preferred)
- A minimum of 5 years of hands-on experience in a decentralized manufacturing environment with complete responsibility for the finance function; automotive experience is preferred
- Managed a team of at least four direct reports with proven leadership and problem solving skills
- An independent critical thinker who displays attention to detail
- Commercially minded/Entrepreneurial
- Displays Leadership within a financially driven organization
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal and time management skills with the ability to multi-task
- Experience in working in an AS400 environment (CMS or Solarsoft experience is preferred)
- Knowledge of Bill 198 internal control requirements
- Advanced knowledge of Excel and Word
Critical Success Factors:
- Demonstrates focus and drive to achieve targets, budgets and results.
- Knowledge and/or Experience in the Job Order Cost tracking within the ERP system would be an asset.
- Desire to understand the business, providing relevant, accurate and timely information to a range of stakeholders within the organization
- Ability to identify potential risk areas and establish prudent financial stewardship and safeguarding of assets
- Oversee the education and development of departmental staff while fostering an environment based on teamwork and accountability
- Clearly communicate weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual financial results including explanation of variances of actual compared to forecast/budget
- Effectively manage and take complete ownership and control of the accounting department with respect to month-end reporting as well as day-to-day activities.
- Proven self-starter, who requires limited supervision and direction, yet achieves tasks and overcomes problems and provides effective direction and development for staff.
- Adopts an active approach and a perpetual willingness to get personally involved in order to increase the pace and efficiency and achieve departmental, plant and Company goals and objectives.
- Embraces the challenge of problem solving and identifying and implementing well thought through practical solutions.
- Responsible for the entire accounting function at the facility, including cash and bank, accounts receivable, tooling inventory, capital assets, accounts payable, inter-company transactions and other related accruals.
- Responsible for the review of the monthly reconciliation binder prepared by the accounting team that provides support for all balance sheet accounts.
- Comply with Martinrea reporting requirements on weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual basis ensuring compliance with Martinrea accounting policies and procedures.
- Create a system whereby an accurate balance sheet and cash forecast can be prepared and submitted to Corporate on a regular basis. On a monthly basis, explain the differences between the actual results and the previous weeks forecast, and the previous month’s actual results.
- Review and approve standard and non-standard journal entries each month.
- Implement and maintain internal controls at the plant to ensure compliance with the Bill 198 requirements.
- Proactively provide continuous improvement ideas relating to accounting processes.
- Collaborate with the Business Manager and General Manager to prepare the annual budget for the facility by leading the balance sheet budget process. Work closely with the management team to ensure that all budgeted changes, cost saving initiatives and new program launches are correctly captured in the budget.
- Review accounts payable aging regularly and closely monitor payment status to ensure timely and accurate payments to key suppliers.
- Manage the local annual external audit by completing the year-end audit kit with all the required supporting reconciliations and documentation, ensuring that no audit adjustments are identified during the audit.
- Provide all the necessary information to the internal audit department during their audit and immediately address any concerns that are identified.
- Complete performance goals and objectives for the accounting team ensuring continuous development of staff.
- Provide support and contribute to the quality and environmental requirements and regulations as well as the implementation and maintenance of Martinrea Manufacturing Systems at the facility.
- Office environment and plant floor.
- Desk work.
- Constant communication with employees, peers, management, suppliers and customers.
- Overtime as required.
Health and Safety Responsibilities
- Must work in accordance with Health and Safety regulations, Company rules, plant rules, and policies and procedures.
- Must use or wear equipment, protective devices or certain clothing as required.
- Perform other duties as required
- Working in a great team environment.
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance.
- Short term and long term disability coverage.
- Safety shoe and prescription safety glasses reimbursement.
- Supplier discounts.
- Tuition reimbursement and training opportunities.